Monday, May 23, 2011

About "Good Day, Good Night" (1/2 - Regarding the song)

This post is about the song I wrote and introduced to you in my last post.
http://letmetalkabouttokyo.blogspot.com/2011/05/good-day-good-night.html


On 12 March, I was exhausted from the frequent aftershocks, the horrible news, the confused flood of informations on Twitter and so on.
I felt "Music is nothing for a time like this."

Then I got a mail from my friend. It said, "Sing."
He continued, "You might give them some courage with music."

At the same time, I saw a tweet which said, "For musicians, music is not guilty. It's a hope."

I made up my mind to write a song.
I thought carefully about what kind of song I should write.
There were already many rousing songs by famous musicians.
If I started to write a rousing song from that time, it would not mean much.

I was recalling the children's book I had read in elementary school days.
It was one of the popular series called, "Zukkoke San-Nin-Gumi".
Less than Harry Potter's popularity of today, but it was quite popular in that time.
The story of the one I was recalling is that the main characters face a huge earthquake and they have many difficulties after the earthquake.
The boy dreams about the earthquake many times, and every time he wakes up in a sweat.

At that time, my mother said "I can't sleep well because of the aftershocks during the night." Some of my friend said the same things on Twitter.

"A song which eases the anxiousness of the people. This might be what I need to write," I thought.
For the people in Touhoku, and also for the people everywhere who can't spend nights at peace.

At this moment,
"This is the time to sleep",
the first verse, dropped from my mouth with the melody which I had hummed before the earthquake. It fit.
(The lyrics were revised to "This is the time for bedtime" for the final version)

This is the story about how I started to write "Good Day, Good Night."


I'd like to write about how I made the video in my next post.
Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment