Sunday, May 29, 2011

I've read two books by Kafka




I read "Transformation/Before the Law" and "The Trial" in Japanese.
It was my first contact with Franz Kafka. He's from Prague and wrote in German.

"The Metamorphosis/Before the Law" is a book of short stories which includes:

"Judgement"
"The Metamorphosis"
"A Report to an Academy"
"Before the Law"


"The Metamorphosis" is very well known but I've never read it before. I only knew how the story begins as everyone knows.
"As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a gigantic insect."

Before I read through the novel, I thought "The Metamorphosis" was a SF or fantasy novel, but it actually is a sad, realistic and symbolic novel. Even though it's sad, I like it.

I couldn't catch what "Judgement" really means. I should try reading it again at the proper opportunity.

"A Report to an Academy" is all made up of one character's monologue. He reports to the people in an academy about how he became a human from being a monkey. It's funny but also deep.

"Before the Law" is a really short story, which is four pages in Japanese. It may be less in English.
It's easy writing but difficult to understand the intent of the writer. What is the law after all?
This novel appears again in "The Trial". One character talks about this story. That scene can be a clue to understand.

"The Trial" is good novel and has a worldwide reputation, but I don't like it so much. There are several unfinished chapters, and this novel is depressing and full of a helpless feeling. That is why it didn't become my favorite.


Kafka's novel's are classic. They are also more pop and catchy than I expected.
I can recommend them to you.



No comments:

Post a Comment